Donna Gordon (1st place) & Anthony Grooms (judge)
Read Ms. Gordon's winning story, "Primates,"
in the summer 2019 issue of New Letters, by subscription.
For information about the winner, finalists, and judges, go here.
•All contest entries are judged “blind,” free of names and other identifying information. Please be sure that your name does not appear anywhere on the manuscript.
•Stories may not exceed 8,000 words.
•Stories must be unpublished.
•Stories must concern this year’s topic of PLACE & LOCALITY and exhibit a grounding in a physical environment, region or locality in some way, whether implicitly or explicitly through title, setting, plot, theme, conflict, or the minds of the characters.
• $20 entry fee for each manuscript submitted. A one-year subscription to New Letters, shipped to any address within the United States, is included in the price of the first entry. (Subscriptions mailed outside the U.S. require a $15 postal surcharge.)
• Manuscripts will not be returned.
• No substitutions or revisions may be made after a manuscript has been submitted. Edits can be considered prior to publication, if the manuscript wins the award.
• Multiple entries are welcome with appropriate fees. All entries are considered for publication, even if not the winner.
• The winner will be announced in early March 2020.
• The winner will be published in New Letters and receive a $750 cash prize.
• The name of the award’s judge will be made public at the time the winner is announced.
• Online entries via Submittable only. Entries received through the postal mail will not be accepted and will be recycled upon receipt.
• Current students and employees at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and current volunteer members of the New Letters and BkMk Press staffs are not eligible.
Kansas City Literary Events